Geology 124T Thermodynamics
[Lecture Schedule] ...
Professor: Dr. Bradley Hacker, Webb Hall Rm 2120, phone 893-7952. Office hours: M W 2:00-4:00 or by appointment; or send me mail:email@example.com
Lecture: MWF 11:00-11:50, Webb 1030. Lecture Notes.
Discussion: F 12:00-12:50, Webb 1030. Review of problem sets.
Website: Most class materials are posted on our website http://www.geol.ucsb.edu/faculty/hacker/geo124T/.
Exams & Grading: Weekly assignments: total of 60%, due the Friday of each week. Midterm exams: none. Final Exam: 40%, will be at 11:00 on Halloween. Assignments turned in late will be marked down 20% for each day late.
Other course materials: Most class materials will be posted at the Geology 124T website.
Textbooks you may wish to consult:
- Fletcher, Philip. Chemical thermodynamics for earth scientists. Harlow, Essex, England : Longman Scientific & Technical ; New York : J. Wiley, 1993, 464 p.
- Powell, Roger. Equilibrium thermodynamics in petrology: an introduction. London ; New York: Harper & Row, 1978. xii, 284 p.: ill. ; 24 cm. QE431.5 .P68
- Krauskopf, Konrad Bates. Introduction to geochemistry. 3rd ed. New York : McGraw-Hill, c1995, 647 p. QE515 .K7 1979
- Spear, Frank S. Metamorphic phase equilibria and pressure-temperature-time paths. Washington, D.C.: Mineralogical Society of America, [c1993] (1995 printing), 799 p.
- Nordstrom, D.K. & Munoz, J.L. Geochemical thermodynamics. 2nd ed. Boston : Blackwell Scientific Publications, 1994, 493 p.
- Anderson, G. M. and Crerar, D.A. Thermodynamics in geochemistry : the equilibrium model. New York: Oxford University Press, 1993, 588 p. QE515 .A6 1993
- Units of Temperature: Degrees Celsius and Kelvin
- Units of Energy: Joules and Calories
- Why Thermodynamics?
- Chemical Reactions and Equations
- Reaction-Produced Change in Mass, Density, Volume
- What Actually Drives Reactions?
- First Law of Thermodynamics
- Heat Capacity
- Relation Among Enthalpy, Heat, and Heat Capacity
- Determining Enthalpies
- Enthalpy of Reaction
- Exothermic vs. Endothermic
- Entropy Change of Reaction
- Energy Associated With Entropy
- Gibbs Free Energy of a Phase
- Relationship Among G, S, and V
- Gibbs Free Energy of Formation
- Gibbs Free Energy of Reaction
- Clapeyron Relation
- Solving the Pressure Integral at Constant Temperature
- Solving the Temperature Integral at Constant Pressure
- Solving the Temperature and Pressure Integrals
- Calculating the PT Position of a Reaction
- Introduction to the Equilibrium Constant
- Volume of Mixing
- Partial Molar Volume
- Entropy of Mixing
- Enthalpy of Mixing
- Gibbs Free Energy of Mixing
- The Equilibrium Constant
- Activity Models (Activity-Composition Relations) for Crystalline Solutions
- Mixing on a Single Site
- Mixing on a Several Sites
- Geothermometry and Geobarometry
- Exchange Reactions
- Net-Transfer Reactions
- Transformation: Nucleation + Growth
- The Last Supper: A Still Life of Thermodynamics & Kinetics